31 July 2008

Prognostication - Packers fans

As a Wisconsinite, news junkie, and football watcher (though, admittedly, a reluctant one), allow me this ugly prediction: The Favre controversy will end in physical violence among the fans.

We can't go an hour, much less a whole day, not hearing about Favre and the next miniscule step that was taken or not taken, or what some yahoo said about it. I'm a little surprised no one got into a fight at the shareholders' meeting last week. We take our football seriously here in WI. Too seriously. Favre became a legend in his own time because he brought Green Bay back into championships and winning seasons.

Of course, it's not just him - it was the teams and the coaches and the whole machinery of the organization those seasons. But he was the figurehead. And he went out on a high note to cap that legend.

Or so we thought. Now it's pretty mucky around here. Seems like I'm in the minority - thinking the Pack should get on with life, trade Favre for some high picks and trades, and give Rogers the chance he already showed he could handle. Most fans want Favre, the legend, back. Enough that I'm a little scared to say what I think in public because I fear the reprisals.

But I'll write it here. Favre wasted his legacy with this stunt, and the Packers botched their hand as well. It's a big mess, and what little regard I had for the sport and the team is withering away. Greedy whiners. That's all any of them ever were. Favre included.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?