16 August 2006

Busy day at the office

Today was a typical day... or what a typical used to be for me before I moved out of the office into my home office.

Of course, my company's office is a lot like my current office. The Angel Anthony Group is a four-person company run out of the home of the President and Vice President, Angel and Tony. When I lived in Wausau and started working for them, I made an effort to treat the office as a serious work space. And while there, I was involved in a lot of the grunt work of the business - answering phones, catching little fixes as requests came in, answering client emails, etc - all while I was trying to make progress on major projects.

Since I moved out, I've had a more focused role on development and maintenance work. I get a task. I work on the task. I finish and move on to the next. The little stuff gets caught by the other three still working at headquarters.

But this week, the bosses are on vacation (though still checking in every now and then). So our administrator is catching all the calls and funnelling all the little work my way.

This is great, actually. I'm not complaining. Something I'll get into later is how I work better with a full-load of tasks. Overload me with stuff and give me a firm deadline, and I'll crunch through it. Give me a few, broadly-defined projects, and I'll procrastinate until the due date and then realize I needed more time to get it done. So I've been more productive this week than I've been in a while.

Of course, I'm also a little more harried. While I stay productive when pressured, I'm seeing the deadlines of the larger items looming ahead and wondering if I'll ever get them done. Tomorrow is going to be a long day. I have to make it productive, or else two or three big projects will be languishing way past deadlines.

I'm tired from today and the worry that's building over a few issues. I took a break mid-afternoon to bake a Quick-Quiche for dinner, and then when I picked our son up from day care, we went grocery shopping. Thankfully, our son was a happy kid at the store (those carts that are made to look like cars are brilliant!), or else I'd be even more exhausted now.

So early to bed tonight, I guess. And then early to tackle the long list of items on my task-list for tomorrow so that when Tony and Angel get back they don't think they can never go on vacation again.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?