27 December 2006

Now entering the "No Work Zone"

Here we are, smack dab between Christmas and New Year's. Monday was a holiday, and the bosses and I took Tuesday off as well. I don't work Fridays, so I have two days to get work done, and then comes another three day weekend. How can I get anything done?

There are Christmas presents still lying around to be picked up and played with. There's a mound of laundry from the past week and the new sheets and clothes we received as presents. There are dishes from the big meals waiting to be put away. And the Christmas tree, which started to loose it's needles on day 2 this year, is more fire hazard than decoration right now.

Everything around me begs for my attention. Everything except my work - which is also at a slow pace for the past two weeks. I have about 20 minutes of things that need to get done, and then the rest of my day to fill with work if possible. If it's not possible, I don't get paid.

In many ways, though, this "week" is not unlike the rest of the weeks of the year. It's always a struggle to focus and produce the hours I need rather than look around me and do the thousands of other things I could and would rather be doing.

So I pop in my new David Bowie "Best of" CD set (actually, rip it and play it from iTunes) and then put my head down, stair straight ahead and plow into work. Right after this blog post, anyway.

Best wishes to all of you working through the No Work Zone on this between the Holidays week. If it helps, just think of the bills you have to cover to pay for the Christmas you just had.

Ah.... Tidings of comfort and joy. Comfort and Joy.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?