08 January 2007

Multiculturalism, or assimilation?

Althouse led me to a political test today (though her post is from Friday), that in itself wasn't that sepctacular, but it had at least one question that prompted extra thought:


"8. Do you see the ideal America as an ethnic "melting pot" in which religious, cultural and ethnic distinctions are blurred, or as a nation in which ethnically diverse groups ought to coexist while retaining their cultural identity?"


I find that I've bought into the "melting pot" ideal. But I see it this way: There is an American culture that is made up of the blending of our inherited transplanted cultures and is continually influenced by the influx of immigrants and our relations in the world at large. I was at a great example of this this weekend: Romine's High Pockets in Milwaukee - a pool hall, sports bar, and arcade with a restaurant attached. The name of the restaurant: Senor Loco's. And while the menu offered many delicious looking mexican specialities, we ordered Pizza. And it was really good.

Where else in the world can you get all that in one place?

Milwaukee itself boasts a great respect for the cultures of it's people, as long as they like to party. On the Summerfest grounds or nearby, the spring, summer and fall are all filled with cultural events from Irish Fest, to Italian fest, to Bastille Days, to Oktoberfest. There's Asian and Latino festivals, too. So we can all share in the great food, drink, and entertainment of the people that make up our communities.

Yet, I'd hope that all these people would celebrate our American heritage and culture, too. Our nation may be young in the grand scheme of things, but 200 plus years isn't too shabby. Nor is our standing in the world today. And it says something that every year hundreds of thousands or more try to come here to live and want to become citizens.

I'm interested in my own heritage (Scandinavian, Lithuanian, German, and others), but it doesn't define me as much as my nationality and regional identity. It means more to me to be a Wisconsinite than of Lithuanian or Swedish descent. And, in dealing with those of other nationalities, I'm still happy to be known as an American (hey - we all have skeleton's in our national closets...). So the assimilation process has worked for me - 3 generations is all it took, though I doubt my parents felt much different than I about their identity.

This article about the diversyfication of Australia's surfing life-saving clubs is interesting, too. From what I understand, Australia has a history of anti-immigration tendancies in the white majority. And last year, there were instances of racial clashes between ethnically Middle Easterners and whites on the beaches. Now, the traditionally conservative surfing clubs are reaching out to recruit other ethnicities to foster "breaking down social barriers".

To deal with the Muslim women's attire requirements, they've developed what has been termed a "burquini". I understand the argument that religions that enforce strict cultural attire (especially the fundamentalist Islamic kind) is actually just a patriarchal oppression of women. But if these suits allow oppressed women to venture out into the world and do things like surf and save lives and become aculturated, then I think they are a good thing.

Good luck to the new Austrailian life guards! And kudos to the surfing clubs reaching out to mend cultural schisms. Long live the melting pots, and long live our heritage - separate and united.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?